Workstation Upgrade Poll - Pop!_os or Manjaro?

I found a smoke’n good deal on an AMD 5950X for < 400.00 w/shipping (nearly 50% off retail). Normally I don’t go for the top SKU in a CPU class as the benefits just aren’t worth the extra $$, but in this case, it was a deal I couldn’t pass up.

So, next week the 3950X is out, and the 5950X is in. I’m gonna move the 3950X over to my 2700X Proxmox box, and start working up another host node (over time) or maybe build another TrueNAS box, don’t know yet. At some point, when the 3090’s are down a “sane” price point, I may upgrade my 2080, but for now, that’s not happening.

So, the question of the day is, which OS would you go with?

• Pop!_Os
  • Manjaro
  • Garuda
  • Ubuntu

0 voters

Here’s the build as it is this week. Will post another after the re-build next week. In the meantime, I’ll leave up the poll until it’s time to re-image the box.

I hope it’s not beause somebody already let the smoke out… :worried:

Manjaro with i3 has been working really nice on my PC (only an old i7-5820K) and RPi 4B, and it’s extra nice being able to have both configured the same. I like that it’s a staggered rolling release, so it stays current but does it carefully. The PC has a GTX1070 to run the displays and an RTX2080Ti for Blender rendering and for my dad’s ML stuff, plus it runs a bunch of non-gui VMs for dad’s work.

1 Like

That thought did cross my mind, having previously “let the smoke out” !! We’re gonna find out as I’m gonna put the heat on it next week.

I should have went with the 2080 Ti also, but, it wasn’t available.

If the poll is close, I may dual booth the thing cuz, truth be told, I really like Arch Linux and their rolling release model also. I’ve just been on Ubuntu for so long I forgot what it’s like to run other distro’s.

While you’re here @Buffy, how do you get that $prompt ? I see @Jay and Tom Lawrence run something similar.

1 Like

Which part? the $PS1 string I build up from parts:

Like, to test for whether to put the SSH bit in the prompt we do this test:

if [ -n "$SSH_CLIENT" ]; then
    ps_text=" (SSH)"
fi

Then we do all the PS1 setup like putting the hostname and path and whether to have it in color

This bit for setting the window title if you have those enabled:

# Change the window title of X terminals
case ${TERM} in
    xterm*|rxvt*|Eterm*|aterm|kterm|gnome*|interix|konsole*)
	 PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME%%.*}${ps_text}\007"'
	 ;;
    screen*)
	 PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033_${USER}@${HOSTNAME%%.*}${ps_text}\033\\"'
	 ;;
esac

This bit for setting PS1:

if ${use_color} ; then
    # Enable colors for ls, etc.  Prefer ~/.dir_colors #64489
    if type -P dircolors >/dev/null ; then
	 if [[ -f ~/.dir_colors ]] ; then
	     eval $(dircolors -b ~/.dir_colors)
	 elif [[ -f /etc/DIR_COLORS ]] ; then
	     eval $(dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS)
	 fi
    fi

if [[ ${EUID} == 0 ]] ; then
	 PS1='\[\033[01;31m\]\h\[\033[01;36m\]${ps_text}:\[\033[01;31m\]\w\[\033[00m\]'
    else
	 PS1='\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;37m\]${ps_text}:\[\033[01;32m\]\w\[\033[00m\]'
    fi

alias ls='ls --color=auto'
    alias grep='grep --colour=auto'
    alias egrep='egrep --colour=auto'
    alias fgrep='fgrep --colour=auto'
else
    if [[ ${EUID} == 0 ]] ; then
	 # show root@ when we don't have colors
	 PS1='\u@\h ${ps_text}:\w'
    else
	 PS1='\u@\h ${ps_text}:\w'
    fi
fi

And to get the prompt on a second line:

export PS1="[$PS1]
└─➤ \$ "

Of course, you’ll need to fit those into how your .bashrc is already set up and prolly adapt it a bit.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks !! Folks should Bookmark your post.

I was thinking about PS1, but spend half my time in SSH, so that works also. I use GitAware and Anaconda Python Aware also, so, I’ll probably have to fiddle with it some.

WM = i3, I’ll have to look into that some. What desktop do you prefer with Manjaro?

At least with Python, the virtual environment prefix still works nice, without me having to put any special code in my .bashrc for it. :thumbsup:

i3 is a nice tiling window manager and doesn’t use a desktop. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, cool

Clearly I have some learning to do with i3. Time to watch some vid’s on it.

Thanks for all the info!

1 Like

Ok, I’m gonna put Pop!_OS on the main box, and Manjaro on one of my V1600B SoC’s.

See ya on the other side. Start the clock = T=00:09

1 Like

And … We’re back. T=1:02 … not to bad considering half that time was fiddling with FireFox import !!

Truth be told, I had to do some BIOS work too, re configuring some drives. But still, not bad, not bad at all.

1 Like

@Buffy - I finally got the Python && Git-Aware prompt working. Anaconda caused some issues, but, I think it’s working now.

python-git-prompt

1 Like

Nice, and with Git branch, too! \o/

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve run KDE Plasma, so I installed standard with lightdm. So far, it’s pretty impressive and I like the shortcut key arrangement much better than the Gnome setup (can be changed, I know).

I think the text renders better in kconsole as well (more crisp I think), and you can increase / decrease font sizes with ease.

The Dolphin file manager automatically shows my NFS shares, which I find very handy.

kde-kconsole

@Buffy - Packaging on the new engine looked legit. It fired right up, no signs of previous use that I could see. I went into the BIOS and checked things there, looked good, so I headed for the desktop.

Best I can tell, it’s about the same as the 3950X, but, I’ve not done any gaming or benchmark testing which is where this particular chip shines. I’ll give it a few days and start cranking up the heat.

1 Like

Sweet, then! \o/

If you want to really smoke-test it, you can grab the Blender benchmark set from https://opendata.blender.org and run it against the CPU. :angel:

1 Like

I only have a 240 AIO, not sure I want to kill it in the first week, but, if it’s gonna die, may as well be quick and painless rather than a lengthy drawn out deal :rofl:. Blender will defiantly put a hurt on it. Have a few others in mind also.

1 Like

Gorn Benchmark/Smoke-Test Services
We shall be merciful and quick.

1 Like

WOW … I am such a dork !!

I just realized I’ve been running my RAM at 2600 since I got it. I forgot to enable DOCP(XMP) in the BIOS and set it to 3600. It’s G.Skill Trident Z Neo, and designed (or so they say) specifically to run well with Ryzen 9’s

I’m not an OC person, I just want it to run at advertised speeds.

Dooohh !!!

1 Like

Now we’re cook’n !! Wow, I can’t believe I forgot to set that in the BIOS.

Well, initial smoke tests are complete. I’m happy to say, the workstation is alive and we’ll.

Ran the following just to get a feel for things

• Phoronix Timed GCC Build test
  • Phoronix Timed Kernel Build Test
  • Blender Open-Data All Six renders CPU only

One odd observation: when I set the CPU cores to ondemad (2.2 GHZ or so at idle), the temps are higher ~48-50 or so. When I set it to performance (3.8-4.0 Ghz at idle) the temps actually drops to high 30’s to low 40’s. The only thing I can figure is it’s under-volting the CPU and causing heat in doing so. However, that is totally a guess. Either that, or, CPU-X doesn’t know how to read the temps properly in those situations.

As this is my main Compiling Rig, I need the higher clocks and core count anyway, so I was happy to see the temp actually drop at higher clock speeds.

Anyway, next stop is to get Manjaro installed on one of those little V1605B SoC’s so I can tinker around with that some.

Blender Smoke Test Start:

Blender Smoke Test Results - I’ve no idea if this is good, bad or indifferent, but it finished:

1 Like