Workstation Upgrade Poll - Pop!_os or Manjaro?

I wonder if Windows’ performance setting also affects the fan curves? HWMON or HWiNFO64 can show the fan speeds for your CPU and case fans to see what they’re doing.

It could have been I didn’t have lm-sensors installed. I installed and configured them, then installed psensor. Both CPU-X and psensor are displaying the same (or close to it) values now.

Temps are still down in the mid 40’s, which is good by me. I’m still going to install hwmon for a backup.

1 Like

Where did you find such a rip on a 5950X ?

How has everything turned out ? I’ve read the thread but I’m just curious.

Myself, I was going to go full tilt and do a 5950X build but it would have taken me into the $2,200 range. Instead I settled for i9 10950K with all decent components and it put me at $1,250 which included state taxes. I am happy with it. I should note that I am running Windows 10 Pro on it and then linux in VMWare.

1 Like

It was at a local shop. They had a sale for like a week on all sorts of odds and ends. Picked up a few other parts as well, mostly chassis stuff, but I needed it for my backup server.

I would not have bought the 5950X had it not been for the price. The 5900 is more than enough for what I need generally. But the price was good so I snagged it. Anything more and I’d have gone Threadripper. which I may do at some point, but not any time soon.

Someday I have to get myself a more powerful linux system.

Right now, my only dedicated linux system is a Pinebook Pro 64. Weak and slow enough that even browsing stresses the system with only a few Firefox tabs open. Anyway, it fulfills its main mission well enough - which is CLI practice.

Good for you on the 5950X.

PS - How do you get that system info output posted in your images earlier in the thread, Conky Manager?

The system info in the terminal is from neofetch, and the other(s) are from cpu-x, a Linux version of cpu-z. Temps are from lm-sensors.

Edit : It took me nearly a year to build my current workstation. Just bits and bobs one at a time. This is the 3rd CPU on that motherboard, and I’ve upgraded the RAM twice. I did splash out on the board, box and PSU all at the same time.

I was trying to find the difference between neofetch and neoflex. Not much online infos. Google Fu is turning up very little. Any idea ?

It’s in the Ubuntu repos, and probably many others. No package named NeoFlex.

[ (base) ki7mt@5950x:~ ]
└─➤ $ : apt-cache policy neofetch
neofetch:
  Installed: 7.0.0-1
  Candidate: 7.0.0-1
  Version table:
 *** 7.0.0-1 500
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

More Info

└─➤ $ : apt search neofetch
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
neofetch/focal,focal,now 7.0.0-1 all [installed]
  Shows Linux System Information with Distribution Logo

And, from the package itself

└─➤ $ : apt show neofetch
Package: neofetch
Version: 7.0.0-1
Priority: optional
Section: universe/utils
Origin: Ubuntu
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Original-Maintainer: Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <iwamatsu@debian.org>
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Installed-Size: 339 kB
Recommends: chafa
Homepage: https://github.com/dylanaraps/neofetch
Task: lubuntu-desktop
Download-Size: 77.5 kB
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
Description: Shows Linux System Information with Distribution Logo
 Neoftech is a cross-platform and easy-to-use system information
 command line script that collects your Linux system information
 and display it on the terminal next to an image, it could be your
 distributions logo or any ascii art of your choice.
1 Like

Look at the image replies on Manjaro by @Buffy . They are using the command “neoflex.” Unless they created an alias “neoflex” that points to “neofetch,” I don’t know what else it can be.

1 Like

I’m not sure how it works with Manjaro. I did a quick search for NeoFetch and it is in the repo but neoflex is not. Maybe it’s a spin off of neofetch, not sure.

And as the repo message says, check out fastfetch

I’m gonna check that out as well.

1 Like

Here’s the output from fastfetch in Manjaro

1 Like

And here’s the neofetch version in Manjaro:

1 Like

So, we’ll have to wait and ask @Buffy what the deal is on NeoFlex, as I’m not sure how that works.

I did find the NeoFlex (neofetch) challenge over on Level1Techs. Looks pretty cool actually. I didn’t look at how they are doing it though.

1 Like

This person just made a simple alias.

1 Like

Memes even in linux.

:rofl:

2 Likes

Oh, sorry! neoflex is just an alias to neofetch as kind of a joke, because so many people use it to flex. :smiley:

1 Like

Ok, since @runlinux.run installed NeoFetch on Fedora, thought i’d post an AlmaLinux version. It takes a bit more than other distro’s. Just follow the yellow brick road here, and it works. We’re gonna install NeoFetch on AlmaLinux 8

AlmaLinux is replacement for CentOS server that was, well, treated badly, lets leave it at that.

Note: this was done in a Proxmox server shell so the graphics are not as crisp.

# update the distro as always

sudo dnf update

# when done, enable the epel repo

sudo dnf install epel-release

# now install neofetch, note: this will install a good number of packages

sudo dnf install neofetch

# when complete, run it: 

neofetch

And there ya have it … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another nice distro from the Arch Camp : EndeavourOS

This is a really nice Arch based Distro. I don’t think the installer is as “polished” as Manjaro, but, its a speed-demon for sure. There’s several Community Flavors, though I just went with the default (Xfce). I can see why it’s climbing the Distro Watch Charts.

Installation is simple for this one:

# system update of course

sudo pacman -Syuu

# then after,

sudo pacman -S neofetch

# then run it, job done

neofetch

1 Like

Oooooooo! Purple! \o/

1 Like

Another entry, this time from the Debian Camp : MX Linux

The installer on this distro is much more polished, no issues at all. However, it does install a lot of packages I didn’t expect, most notably, Java 11. The default Python version is 2.7.16 and the Python 3 is version 3.7.3

Overall, I still like the Arch based distro’s a bit better, though I’m happy with Pop!_OS with KDE installed.

NeoFetch was already installed, but, in case you need it:

# update the existing packages

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

# install neofetch

sudo apt install neofetch

# run it, job done

neofetch

And, well, it’s not as pretty as some of the other’s we’ve seen out of the box.

1 Like