Using VNC for Multiple users Ubuntu 20.04

I’m attempting to fins a solution to allow 4 users to VNC into an Ubuntu 20.04 workstation running in Proxmox. Specifically it is a SIFT kit install to run forensic tools. I was able to successfully install Tight VNC server and connect to it over a VPN on port 5901 as the root user. What I am looking to do is configure it so each user will VNC in and will login into their respective user account. I’ve found documentation that mentions adding users and mapping respective ports to each user but I can not find this location in Tight VNC. If anyone has accomplished this using TightVNC or a different VNC program I would appreciate some assistance. Thanks

Hi @dpec1
You want to provide multiple users with GUI access to one Linux machine. ThinLinc would eventually help you sort out this issue as it is a more comprehensive solution when compared to VNC and adjust things dynamically, supporting multi-users. It is free for up to 10 concurrent users and based on open-source projects (TigerVNC, noVNC) that we also maintain. We made a blog post about it Why ThinLinc over VNC? | ThinLinc by Cendio. I hope it helps.

1 Like