Setting up Proxmox Backup Server as a VM

I don’t believe Jay as covered this anywhere yet.

Because I am a common caveman and do not yet ansible all the things, I depend on backup to recover from mistakes.

A couple of weeks ago, I started experimenting with Proxmox and it seems to meet my needs very well. I am replacing the VMs and containers running on my Synology 918+ with a NUC running Proxmox. The learning curve has been pretty reasonable. Everything just works. I’ve got a bit of tweaking to do have my VMs store temporary stuff locally before transferring it to the nas for storage.

This brings me to VM backup. Proxmox has backup capability built in the system which works just fine. The biggest advantage for Proxmox Backup Server (PBS) is the ability to create differential backups and prune backups on a schedule.

PBS was easy to set up in a VM. However, getting it to work with an NFS share was not something I could just explore and figure out how to do. How to setup NFS on Synology NAS for Proxmox Backup Server to use as Datastore - Thiago Crepaldi has a very clear write up on setting up PBS to store to an NFS share.

This is a potential topic for a video. Either stand-alone, or perhaps as a part of the upcoming Proxmox series refresh.