Proxmox on laptop

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this, so please move or delete if not. I’m planning to install Proxmox to an old I7 laptop and would like to be able to keep the lid closed except when I’m working directly on it. However, closing the lid shuts down or suspends the system. Is there a setting I can do in Proxmox to keep the system running on lid close?
Thanks!

Please disregard, found my answer.

If you need the info, it’s actually pretty simple. Open /etc/systemd/logind.conf and make sure the following is set:

HandleLidSwitch=ignore
LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=no

Then run service systemd-logind restart.

4 Likes

@Ken

I’m glad you found your answer, which is the same one that I found in my personal documentation wiki that I created for my Linux and homelab notes. I added a few more settings, but perhaps they are not needed in most cases. My laptop is always plugged in to an external power since its battery is iffy, so that setting may not be needed. Also my laptop is never docked so that is probably not an issue for me either. I could probably get along with just your two configuration changes as well.

I will say that I enjoy using the laptop as my office server. It is so quiet, doesn’t take up a lot of space (especially with the lid closed), and works perfect for what I want, a place to run web apps on my work intranet.

HandleLidSwitch=ignore
HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=ignore
HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore
LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=no
4 Likes

I’ve totally forgotten about those settings, in terms of Proxmox on a laptop. Those are some great settings to start with!

4 Likes