Pop!-OS Gnome DM Freeze

Greetings fellow Linux users,

I recently replaced the base Debian OS on my daily driver desktop PC with Pop!-OS. Everything was going great until I did the Pop!-OS major upgrade, then gnome DM started to freeze when I opened up any text editor like Geany, then Terminator started to freeze too. I was able to do a Ctrl+Alt+F1, logged in and moved around the file structure just fine. I did a forced reinstall of Gnome DM and that did not fix the issue. I finally got feed up and installed MATE DM and everything is working OK so far, only has been a day since install. I want to see if I could get some help troubleshooting why Gnome DM was freezing up on me. I am quite at home at the command line, but I don’t want to arbitrarily start deleting or renaming files. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What’s the model of your desktop? Also, what video card does it have? It’s possible that there’s a driver issue, and MATE doesn’t trigger it as easily as Gnome does.

Also, have you run memtest86 on your computer lately? I usually recommend running that once a year or so.

Jay,
Memtest86 passed and I build my desktop sometime ago. It is Intel based with a i7-4770K CPU, 16 GB RAM and a Nvidia GTX 770 GPU. Current Nvidia driver installed is 455.38.

Jay,
I believe it was my wireless mouse was getting interference from something in my office, once I switched over to a wired mouse, so far I have not had any issues. I read about USB 3.0 interfering with 2.4 GHz signals, I can’t confirm that was the issue or not.
Thank you!

That’s really odd, but thank you for mentioning that. Your hardware seems to be standard stuff that should be supported fairly well. Let me know if you figure anything else out.