Noob homelab setup

Hi Jay,

I’m a Linux noob, started using linux for about a year now and I’m loving it. Your youtube channel is one of my references that I use when I need some info on the related topics. Inspired by your homelab series, I have managed to setup a simple testing platform consisting a proxmox server, a dhcp server and a pi-hole server (dhcp and pi-hole on vm in proxmox) on a old laptop. It’s nothing, but a simple testing as a start and to see how it works. I have learned so much and this made me more interested to plan for a better setup later in the future.

I just would like to say thank you for inspiring me and I’m definitely looking forward to be more active on this community.

Thank you and have a nice day ahead.

1 Like

Welcome to the community! Great to have you. I’m glad the videos have helped you. I’m hoping to get back to doing more homelab videos in the near future. Good job on the Proxmox server as well as dhcp and pi-hole, you’re off to a great start!

Screenshot of my proxmox server and currently installing zentyal to test some DC functions.

Let’s see how this old guy performs :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You might be able to stretch it a bit further if using a container instead of a VM for one or more of the instances is acceptable for your use-case.

Yes you’re right. I can’t be able to run another VM smoothly but I can run additional container. Maybe I should try changing my existing VMs to containers to run more efficiently. Anyways, I already managed to get some parts for a fresh PC build (still a old machine but higher specs), so I will be using that as a PVE server soon which should be able to handle my requirements.

By the way I went through your video on how to create PVE containers in youtube and it helped me to understand clearly about containers thanks to your clear-cut explanation.

Another thought, have you experimented with memory “balooning”? Might help as well.

I haven’t came across about this yet. Thank you for suggesting something new to me, I will definitely do some research on this matter and try it out.