My Bash configs + eyecandy

Hi

I just got your Ubuntu Server book (3rd edition) - looking forward to digging more into it.
Also revisited one of your old series “Linux Commands for beginners”, and I watched the episode with Bash config and aliases.

So thought I’d share my own Bash config here, just for inspiration. I’m going to have a closer look at your files, and hopefully get some small gems - maybe I have something you can use.

The newest aliases I have that are worth mentioning are:

alias df='\df -hl | grep -v "/var/lib/docker" | (read h; echo "$h"; sort -V)' # df that is sorted, and excludes docker overlays

alias dua='sudo du -h --max-depth=1 --apparent-size 2> /dev/null | sort -hr' # du that is sorted by size, shows actual size

alias dub='sudo du -h --max-depth=1 2> /dev/null | sort -hr' # du that is sorted by size, shows block size on disk

The remaining aliases are pretty ordinary. My tmux config is tweaked to my own layout and key combos, and things generally fit together.

My terminal looks like this from Windows (in Hyper, some 5 months ago):

1 Like

Those are neat, thanks for sharing! I might possibly use some of those. For the disk usage, I still have ncdu as muscle-memory but those commands are great for when you don’t have ncdu available. And hiding filesystems you don’t care about from df output is usually a good idea to help narrow down the results.

2 Likes

I created some new scripts to show HDD (SMART) and ZPOOL/ZFS status as part of my Neofetch loading screen.

The dot is green if SMART status is “Passed” or ZFS status is “Online” - if not it’s red.

Oh, and I also found a really great cmatrix substitute - Unimatrix. It shows the correct Japanese characters, which look 10 times cooler than cmatrix.

1 Like

Wow, you’ve really outdone yourself. I wish I had the time to do more window manager configuration. Perhaps when things are less crazy in my schedule I’ll get back into that again, it’s a lot of fun, and your screenshots look great.

1 Like