Moved proxmox server to new network, containers are showing up on network, but host is not

Subject says it all. I moved my server and switched my ISP from xfinity to verizon. My containers show up and can ping the outside world, but the host cannot. The containers cannot update either. I have tried editing /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/network/interfaces, manually adding the device to the router DNS server, and turning off firewalls for the host but no luck. I could be entering the wrong info for resolv.conf but I am unsure where to find it.

How is your network physically configured? Does your Proxmox server connect to a switch, to a router, or to the Verizon device directly? Did your network address and ranges change?

Can you post some of your verizon configs? It would be good to see how the router is set up and what the following files say from your proxmox host

/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf

I have it connected directly to the verizon router via ethernet. On the router my containers are showing up as devices, and inside the proxmox web GUI some can ping google.com, others do nothing. The host does not show up as a device, I had to assign it the local IP so I could access via the web.

Networking isn’t really my strong suit so my apologies for any lack of full understanding, I’m more of a storage guy. I’m sure my network address changed, unsure if the range changed. Where would my verizon configs be? Not used to this new router and have only begun dabbling into it as we move in and unpack.

Other config files are as follows:

Original /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp1s0f0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.179/24
        gateway 10.0.0.1
        bridge-ports enp1s0f0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

New /etc/network/interfaces (unsure why netmask is commented out)

# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp1s0f0
iface enp1s0f0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.179/24
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports enp1s0f0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#netmask 255.255.255.0

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.179 pve

#10.0.0.179 pve.hsd1.pa.comcast.net pve

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

/etc/resolve.conf

#search hsd1.pa.comcast.net
#nameserver 75.75.75.75
nameserver  1.242.0.14
nameserver 1.242.0.12

I commented out the old settings in the second two config files. I’m guessing (but could be wrong) that I may simply be inputting the wrong nameservers or something. The original ones were auto generated upon installation I guess, I thought plugging in ethernet it would just work. I guess I need to hit the books more about networking.

Thank you in advance for any help!

I think you need to change some things as well as double check the settings in your Verizon device (router, modem?? I am unfamiliar with Verizon). For reference, here’s how my files looked on a clean install (I have changed the IP addresses to protect the innocent):

/etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2/24
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.2 pve.home.louie pve

The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

/etc/resolve.conf
search home.louie
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 192.168.1.1

Everywhere that I have 192.168.1.1, you need to make sure you plug in the IP address of your Verizon router. Everywhere that I have 192.168.1.2, you need to make sure that the IP address you use for your proxmox server is in the same subnet as your version device. For instance if the Verizon router uses 192.186.1.1, and you set your proxmox IP to 10.10.10.179, you will have problems.

I also think you have a major issue in your nameserver config. If your gateway is 192.168.1.1, I would put that into your nameserver file as well.

Wow! thank you so much Louie! It seems to be working. I could cry. So far at least, I can ping/update things now. The config all makes a little more sense too, I hadn’t dabbled into the network side of proxmox too much.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

Do an ip ain one of the containers. By default they get IPs from DHCP. Check what new subnet you have. Then assign a proper IP in /etc/network/interfaces in Proxmox, or in the webGUI, in the same subnet.