Locale.conf and locale in grub

Hi, I’m from Poland, I’m starting my adventure with Arch Linux and I’m getting ready to install it on my laptop. My questions about locales, 1. whether in /etc/locale.conf uncomment the two languages en_US …and pl_PL … and generate locale-gen, maybe only one, en_US or pl_Pl and how to configure grub cp /usr/share/locale/en@quot/LC_MESSAGES/grub.mo/boot/grub/locale/en.mo or pl.mo or both? Thank you in advance for the hints, best regards. Sorry for my English (:slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum Leo!

I’m an ignorant burger, but I may be able to help.

When you go to edit /etc/locale.conf with vi, vim or nano (whichever you prefer), navigate to LANG=[your-choice] and uncomment it by removing the # sign at the start of the line.

You only need to uncomment 2, normally you would go with en_US.UTF-8. As I’m ignorant of other languages, I don’t know which other one you would need to uncomment, probably pl_PL.UTF-8 or something like that.

After you uncomment those, run the command:

locale-gen

The arch wiki has some pretty good steps on how to install arch though, I followed it myself back when I was a beginner and I thought it was pretty understandable if you read it carefully.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/installation_guide

After that, you just set your hostname, generate initramfs and change your root password. To install grub, assuming your laptop is relatively new (running UEFI), you follow this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=GRUB

Note: assuming that /boot/efi is the folder where you mounted the partition formatted as vfat in the first part, where you formatted your disk. By this point you should have already done

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mkdir /mnt/boot
mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
chroot /mnt /bin/bash

Assuming you did everything correctly, all you need to do is that grub-install command.

Your English is fine.

Thank you for your answer, at the moment I am installing arch in a virtual box where I check various settings, but I am thinking of installing it as the basic system in my laptop. I will probably have many more questions and now I am starting another installation, this time with encryption. According to Jay’s guide, of course.