Linux on RSTOptane

Does anyone know why it is that Ubuntu Linux does not work with RSTOptane storage technology? This is Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology that allows the NVMe M.2 storage devices to run roughly 6 to 10 times faster than conventional SSDs. When I went to install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on my Acer Aspire laptop which has an NVMe M.2 storage device as the hard drive, the installer stopped the process and reported that Ubuntu could not be installed on this technology hard drive. As a result, I had to go into my UEFI setup and switch the SATA Mode from RSTOptane to AHCI to install Ubuntu.

MS Windows works just fine using RSTOptane. I would like to know if anyone has an explanation for this. Thanks.

I haven’t tested this myself yet but I’d be curious if someone else can provide an answer. I’m hoping that this is something that can be resolved soon.

Jay,

It appears that no one in this community has any information that can assist with this. I will do some of my own research elsewhere and see if I can’t dig up a viable answer on why Ubuntu Linux does not work with the RST Optane technology for the Intel chipset. If I uncover anything useful, I’ll share here.

Thank you very much. I’m sorry you didn’t get a useful response. I’m hoping this community will grow and have members of all experience levels, but it’s taking some time to expand.

Hi, Jay,

Wanted to get back with you on the RST Optane issue that I reported back in Jun, 2020. I discovered that with a BIOS upgrade, I was able to turn RST Optane off and revert to AHCI, then force MS Windows to boot up in AHCI mode by forcing that OS to use the AHCI drivers instead of the RST Optane drivers. Now, I’m dual booting MS Windows and MX-Linux on my Acer Laptop without issues.

1 Like