Installing Ubuntu 20.10

Installing Ubuntu 20.10 from live usb to laptop with a brand new ssd drive and output is “No operating system found”. If i instead use a Ubuntu 20.04 live usb it will boot into the live environment like it is supposed to. I have also Tried this with Kubuntu also with the same results. 20.04 boots into live enviroment and 20.10 does not. I have tried multiple different usb drives, imaged the usb with both etcher and usb Imager that Jay recently recommended.

My thoughts and research lead me to believe it is something with to do with newer uefi boot?
Laptop is an older model sony vaio and only has legacy boot. I would like to keep this “old girl” around a bit longer as it still does well for internet browsing and such.

Any ideas on what to try next? I’m thinking it will invole some sort of usb imaging trickery.

If it was me, and this is an old laptop, and it boots and works fine from the live USB on 20.04 then I would stick with that version. From what I understand there’s no huge differences between the two and 20.04 is the long term support release. All security updates will be available, and it will be supported until 2030. It should keep your old girl running for another 9 years or so. Most of the changes for 20.10 and newer should show up on your 20.04 install if only a little later.

I ran into this issue recently. I’m not sure why, but using gparted in the live media and creating a new partition table in GPT format resolved it. I don’t know if that will work for you though. And honestly, that shouldn’t have been necessary. But it did work, I had the same issue.

Hulxmash thanks for your comment. I am good with using 20.04 LTS and it is currently what I have installed on it. However I am trying to teach myself more about Linux and computers. So I am more interested in figuring out what the difference between the 2 live usb versions is. Questions I have been querying on the inter tubes is what has changed? Why? Is this the new norm moving forward? and of course how do I make it work?
Most of what I have found is people having issues with grub and dual booting. Nothing about a usb that won’t be seen as a boot device specific to 20.10

Jay, I will give that a try. Thanks

Sorry, I might’ve misunderstood your situation. I haven’t seen an issue where the computer can’t boot from one version but can with another. I might have to think about that a little longer, that’s really odd.

I have been able to get Pop! Os 20.10 to boot from a live USB. Hooray!! After watching the Pop!_OS complete guide video today I was hoping it would work as i believe i will enjoy this flavor of Ubuntu better.
Funny tangent my laptop with Nvidia Geoforce 520m graphics card needed the intel version iso to get the screen resolution to be more than 800x600.

So I have included screen captures of how the usb drive looks in kde partition manager after I have used USBImager to write to usb.

Ubuntu 20.04 , Kubuntu 20.04, Pop! Os 20.04 and Pop! Os 20.10 all look like above. Flag "boot"is on the iso9660 partition.

Ubuntu 20.10 and Kubuntu 20.10 both look like above with the "boot’ flag on the second partition fat12.
I am thinking this is the culprit but have not been successful in using KDE partition manager to swap the boot to the iso partition.

Neither of them look correct to me. I recommend deleting the entire partition table on the drives and then trying again. It looks as though usbimager isn’t clearing the partition table entirely. As an alternative, you can run the following commands after inserting the flash drive to clear it and write the image:

sudo umount /dev/sdb1
sudo umount /dev/sdb2
sudo dd if=/path/to/iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M; sync

Be careful though, replace /dev/sdb with the correct device if it changes, it goes without saying but that will clear everything on the drive, and those commands will clear everything on your computer too if you use it against the wrong drive.

But you can compare your screenshots to the output of the dd command, I bet it will look different.

Another thing you can try, is remove the partition table from the flash drive:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1

And then try usbimager again.