Home assistant on proxmox

I I noticed there was a home assistant episode on The Homelab Show and I thought that I would share some of my experiences installing it on proxmox.

This biggest issue I had with the installation was related to the outdated installation material on the internet. None of the various tutorials ‘just worked’ for me. The first reference I used was the installation instructions at Installation - Home Assistant . The biggest update is that hasio seems to have been renamed Home Assistant Operating System. Last time I looked, hasio was the ‘preferred choice’ but it only worked in some situations.

As of the middle of Aug 2021, I think Home Assistant Operating System is the way to go unless you have a special situation.

There is an option at Alternative - Home Assistant to download a KVM/Proxmox image in the .qcow2 format. I couldn’t get it to work on my proxmox 7 installation. After following the instructions on the page and much other debugging, I was never able to get the imported qcow2 image to boot past the UEIF shell. For some reason UEIF would not recognize the qcow2 image as containing valid boot information. There are a whole lot of issues and workarounds listed by google, but none seemed to work for me.

From there, I tried to do a generic x-86 using the instructions at Generic x86-64 - Home Assistant . After a series of problems converting the .img file to an .iso file so that it could be uploaded to proxmox and then getting the .ios image to boot, I gave up.

Along the way, the same website, https://github.com/whiskerz007 kept showing up as the answer to almost all google searches on ‘proxmox home assistant’ searches. For some reason, I decided to try the proxmox_hassio_lxc (remember how I said that the preferred installation method used to be hassio so that is what I tried… After screwing around with that for a couple of hours, I finally got it to work. Only to realize that I had installed hassio instead of hassos.

Time for an ice cream and another try. Installing Home Assistant using Proxmox - Community Guides - Home Assistant Community has the answer. Ironically, it is the first thing that comes up when googling “proxmox home assistant” But I discarded it because it was a huge wall of text from June 2020. That linked back to GitHub - whiskerz007/proxmox_hassos_install .

If I would have read carefully, I would have noticed that the author forked whiskerz007’s work and updated it. The thread has continued for the past 19 months with constant updates.

To make a really long story a little shorter. The one-liner at sudo bash -c “$(wget -qLO - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kanga-Who/home-assistant/master/hassos_install.sh)”

Worked for me. If anyone has questions about how and why it works, I can try to help. The script is a scary blend of bash, python, and qemu command line stuff that is a bit hard to sort out.

I would say that it was a wasted 15-20 hours… but I know a lot more about proxmox than I did when I started.

Time to try to set up some sonoff plug I use to control the outside Christmas lights.

Sorry, if the grammar and spelling get wonky. Grammarly really does not like this editing box.