Grub install error (uefi method) during Arch installation

Following the Arch linux Installation video on learn linux tv channel

Context:

• Setting up the disk using UEFI without encryption
  • Laptop details: Acer Aspire 7 - ryzen 5, AMD cpu, Nvidea GTX 1650 Ti
  • I am currently using ubuntu 20.04

Everything went well, until installing grub, (video timestamp : 1:23:30)

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id=grub_uefi --recheck

Error

grub-install: error: disk 'lvmid / (lg UUID...) / (lv_root UUID...))' not found.

Errror at last line.

It is : disk ’ lvmid / lg UUID / lv_ root UUID ’
The UUID matches on lvdisplay and lgdisplay.

These both disk UUID’s are not found which is causing this error.

I found some material / threads on research

(Much more but not able to share due to forums restrictions)

How do I know if I have Hardware RAID in my laptop ?

To be honest, I didn’t completely understood these thread, so I came here to ask for help.
I really want to get arch running. I am not really understanding what is the error and why is it occurring, is my system(hardware) not compatible it should be though or am I missing something ???

Please help me with this guys, thanks in advance.

Some more material I found but didn’t understood completely,

link

Let me know if I missed anything to mention, this is my first post.

IDK, but I wonder if your boot partition is encrypted by UEFI and that’s why you can’t find/read it? It kinda looks like that from what you posted?

Welcome to the forum!

For UEFI, you need to partition your drive like this (obviously replace /dev/sda with your device ID, like /dev/mmcblk0nX for NVME ssds, or other device IDs, like sdb if it’s not the first sata device, careful not to destroy your data):

• /dev/sda1 = EFI partition, in the partition table it is type fat32 / W95 (usually id is 1b or simply b), size 100 MiB to 500 MiB at most, format it as fat32 mkfs.fat -F 32 /dev/sda1, mount point is /boot/efi
  • /dev/sda2 = boot partition, in the partition table it’s linux filesystem (usually id 83), size 500 MiB to 1GiB at most, format ext4, mount point is /boot
  • /dev/sda3 = you may use it as LVM and do logical volumes on it, so in the partition tables make it LVM (usually id is 8e), size whatever, don’t format it, follow the LVM instructions.

Unfortunately you cannot have your EFI and boot partitions on LVM, you need to have physical partitions for them.

Tell me if you need assistance to go through the LVM partitioning, I am assuming you wanted to partition your drive using LVM, given the lv_root message.

1 Like

Yes, I am using LVM for partitioning drive, I did exactly as said in the video (with UEFI without encryption) and didn’t got any error, I guess I did the partitioning part correctly.
Do you think this error is caused due to some problem in partitioning ??

I didn’t got any error during partition, create lv_root / lv_home properly and mounted them. This error came when I was installing grub,

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id=grub_uefi --recheck

and was not able to install grub

I don’t have time to watch the video, sorry. Assuming you are still in arch-chroot, try using this grub-install command

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=grub_uefi --recheck

If you are running this command outside arch-chroot, just replace efi-dir with /mnt/boot/efi instead.

Again, I haven’t watched the video, but I just want to make sure that the order you mounted the partitions after you formatted them is this:

1. /mnt/ = lv-root
  2. mkdir -p /mnt/boot/efi
  3. /mnt/boot = /dev/sda2
  4. /mnt/boot/efi = /dev/sda1

If you mount it in another order, like say for example sda1 first, then sda2, then lv-root, then it won’t work, because the mount point would still be seeing lv_root as the mounted partition in /mnt.