Forum Updates Coming

Hello everyone,

This forum is definitely in need of some updating, that’s for sure. And that’s what will happen.

I don’t have a timeline yet, nor do I have a full list of changes that are coming - what I’ll be doing is testing various settings, tweaking things, until I run out of things to improve. You’ll see many smaller tweaks, sometimes larger tweaks.

In the meantime, please ignore any oddities while I work on improving the forum.

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s cool that you are taking time to customize the website, but please try your best to maintain Discourse’s highlight bar when scrolling with j and k. On a thread, it still shows up in the comments. On the latest page, it’d now hidden, making navigation hard.

For anyone interested, there are other keyboard shortcuts, like u to undo or go back, i to open notifications and so on.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I actually wasn’t aware of this feature until you mentioned it.

But I might need some guidance or information on how to retain this. Do you know where this setting is, or what might have changed to stop it from working?

2 Likes

I saw it disappear when the big post / highlights of the threads are now shown. Beforehand, the bar was available. And the bar is still there inside the threads, just not on the main page.

Orange bar on the threads when pressing “j.”

No bar when scrolling with “j” and “k.”

Reference forum having that bar.

If it’s not too much of a deal to find it, then you can leave it. It’s not a deal breaker, but it’s a wonderful feature for navigating the website that I absolutely love.

If I see that feature somewhere, I’ll enable it. I haven’t seen it yet. But I’ll definitely fix it if I can.

I’m pretty sure the feature is enabled already, it’s the keyboard navigation of the site. But the bar color or something is affected or covered by the large previews. You can still scroll with j and k on the latest page, and hit enter to open the page, but just that the highlighter doesn’t show up.

I didn’t even know that keyboard shortcut for j and k existed, thanks!

1 Like

Thank you Jay! The highlight bar is now available.

By the way, outside of the forum, do you have a test server on which you test functionality before introducing it to your hobby sites, like a discourse test? Just curious how other homelabers do it.

Personally, I just tested everything live, because setting up a test lab is a pain. :laughing: The more annoying part would actually be powering on the testing sites, because I don’t want to have them idle and waste resources.

For me it’s both. Depends on my mood, available time, or patience level. I often do everything against the live server because I have backups so I could always revert things back if I wanted. It’s just faster. And I also don’t have anyone saying that I can’t since I own the company so I’ll admit that I have an unfair advantage.

If the change is super huge, I’ll often restore the most recent backup to a brand new VM, test the changes, and then dispose of it once I test the process. That way, I don’t have to keep a clone running all the time for no reason, and I also inadvertently test my backups at the same time by doing this.

I have a feeling most homelabbers would probably just answer with whatever process is the least tedious, or easier to automate (depending on which of those they prioritize).

2 Likes