/etc/pam.d/common-password example

Hello everyone

I am quite new in the Linux world. In Jays book “Mastering Ubuntu Server” there is a chapter about password policies in which he uses libpam-cracklib in the /etc/pam.d/common-password file.

Unfortunately libpam-cracklib does not seem to be available for Debian 12.

After some searching I found libpam-pwquality which can also be used to configure parameters like retry, minlen and difok.

/etc/pam.d/common-password example from the book (with pam_pwquality instead of pam_cracklib)

# This module saves the last passwords for each user in order to force password change history and keep the user from alternating between the same password too frequently.
password required pam_pwhistory.so remember=99 use_authok

#This module can be plugged into the password stack of a given service to provide some plug-in strength-checking for passwords. The code was originally based on pam_cracklib module and the module is backwards compatible with its options.
password required pam_pwquality.so retry=3 minlen=6 difok=3

However, in my search on the Internet I have not found a good template. What should be absolutely in such a password guideline and what should not be done in any case? How is this done in “real use” outside of a home lab?

After some searching, I came across what I think is a good solution. With the two modules pam_pwquality and pam_faillock the basics for a good password policy can be easily clicked together.

Here’s a breakdown of the options used in the configuration:

• retry=3: Allows the user to enter their password incorrectly three times before failure.
  • minlen=10: Specifies a minimum password length of 10 characters.
  • ucredit=-1: Requires at least one uppercase letter.
  • lcredit=-1: Requires at least one lowercase letter.
  • dcredit=-1: Requires at least one digit.
  • ocredit=-1: Requires at least one special character.
  • difok=3: Specifies that at least three characters must be different from the previous password.
  • enforce_for_root: Applies the password requirements to the root user as well.

The pam_faillock allows users to be locked out of the system for a certain period of time if there are too many incorrect logins. The module even provides an interface to query the status of a user via faillock --user USERNAME. Locked users can also be manually unlocked before the penalty period expires faillock --user USERNAME --reset.

Hope this also helps the next beginner in search of a suitable password policy.