100 days of linux

Hey everyone

i just wanted to share that i have been using windows and working in the windows Eco system for 20 years plus but always wanted to learn Linux since the 90’s - i am finally in a position to do this.

I will be on twitter adding a post once a day with something i have learnt, done or are looking in to.

I just wanted to post this and ask if anyone has any good tips or ideas on someone who is fully in to windows and not used Linux much at all.

My main daily driver and laptop are now on Ubuntu 22.04.

https://twitter.com/mason_6411 if you would like to see my journey so far (13 days as i write this post)

Thanks for reading and will post if i fail or manage to get to 100 days :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, gosh, where to start.

First off, I would suggest that you create a plan (if you haven’t already). Start with the basic things, like getting all of your drivers/accessories (printers, web cams, etc) working first. Then I would make a list of applications that you use in Windows and start the journey of finding something equivalent (or better) on the Linux.

I list this as it might help with organizing the video’s. Just a thought.

If you need any help with anything specific, this forum is a great place to post.

2 Likes

Hi @mason64 , I will follow alone …

i totally forgot to come back to this forum. the date is i lasted 31 days and things just started going from bad to worse for my daily driver.

I am back on windows 11 and everything i do on my computer is running perfectly.

Saying that…

i am going to do it all over again with a better plan this time. Starting from next week i will try 100 days of linux and see how i get on.

I maybe back for help - hopefully not

1 Like

Good luck next time.

Make sure you ask around for help. You don’t need to be an expert at it it’s just a matter of understanding how things work.

When I first started I dual-booted and only used Windows when I really needed it. Then, on a spare, old laptop installed Linux only and used that to get used to it without fear of breaking it.

Set some expectations and list what your daily needs are. I never managed to get my printer working, for example, and still use Windows for it. Actually that’s the one machine I still keep around just for that purpose. In all fairness, that printer is really, really old, I’m surprised it still works at all.

At the end of the day, use whatever works for you.