Proxmox VE Full Course: Class 2 - Installation Process

Originally published at: Proxmox VE Full Course: Class 2 – Installation Process – LearnLinuxTV

you need to know in order to get up and running with Proxmox. In this class, we’ll install Proxmox Virtual Environment on our server.

2 Likes

Hello!

Thanks for this excellent tutorial series. It’s really timely for me; I’m setting up my very first Proxmox server now. I’ve found a lot of great content on YouTube for various elements, but nothing this comprehensive aimed at an absolute newbie.

I decided to watch the entire series and make notes/a question list, and then go back and actually install and set up Proxmox while watching the videos again. The tutorial series is amazing. I really appreciate that you manage to set a quick pace while also drilling down into the details enough that someone who has no idea what they’re doing (hello) is able to follow along. That’s a really hard needle to thread, and it’s done excellently. I’m doing one episode a night like a Netflix series. :slight_smile:

I had a few questions after watching the first lesson. Some of them I think I’ve solved after a bit of research, and some I’m still a bit confused about.

I’m sorry if this is a bit long. I have pretty much no idea what I’m doing at this point, and I’m hoping to avoid making a mistake up front that will lead to me having to start over. I only get a few hours a week to work on this, unfortunately; I’ve been plugging away at setting up the hardware here there for the last month.

Thanks for any advice. :slight_smile:

1. Installing from LiveCD via Ventoy or Similar Tool? Unfortunately, I’ve just got a couple of very large (250 GB+) SSDs, instead of a bunch of small ones. I’m not sure how that happened, but I’m going to blame a cleaning spree during lockdown. To avoid reformatting all the time, I’ve set up Ventoy, a tool that lets me boot from ISOs stored on the SSD, as if I was booting from a burned CD, like a linux installer’s live environment. Is it safe to install Proxmox using something like this, or will it cause errors? I can easily create a standalone bootable USB stick, but I thought it would be cool to have a bunch of useful utilities and installer ISOs on a single portable SSDs.

2. Install onto pair of boot disks in RAID1, with ZFS? I’m pretty sure I found the answer to this, but I wanted to double-check. I’ve got a pair of NVME SSDs on my motherboard that I want to boot from in RAID1 for redundancy. I think that all I have to do is select a ZFS RAID 1 file system during the install, and designate the two NVMEs, and I should be fine. Is that correct?

3. NIC Bonding? I know there’s a lesson on networking coming up (I think it just dropped today), and I’m guessing bonding will be discussed there. I just wanted to make sure I won’t run into any issues if I just set up a single NIC as my Management Network to get started and then need to change the Management Network interface later once I finalize the network layout.

4. Management Network when Running PFSense/OPNSense VPN VM? I’m hoping to set up a VM to run either OPNSense or PFSense, with a dedicated 2 port network card passed directly to the VM. Do I need to do anything (or, alternatively, not do something) during the installer’s network setup to make this work, or will I be able to make the necessary changes after install without any issues?

5. ZFS Advanced Options. I’m just as new to ZFS as I am Proxmox; I only know the very basics (enough to determine that it’s worth running and that my hardware will support it). I know there are “Advanced” ZFS options in the installer, but I don’t know enough about ZFS yet to know if I should tweak them for my intended use case. I’m running 16x enterprise-grade 2.5" SSDs for storage (I was lucky; they pretty much fell off the back of a truck), and most of them will get passed to a TrueNAS VM.) I realize this is a fairly open-ended question and might be difficult to answer. If there are any articles or specific YT videos you would recommend for configuring ZFS for this use case in Proxmox, that would be amazing.

6. Non-Self-SIgned Certificates and VPNs? I’m planning to set up my node to be accessible via a VPN, but not through the public internet. Would you still recommend getting a certificate from somewhere like Let’s Encrypt, or do I really not need it?