Kasm vs. VirtualBox

Ideal setup.

My entire internet setup is via a ZTE 5G Hotspot Modem/WiFi router(avg. 500Mbps) which allows me to just pickup and go. Awesome fun.

1 Like

Well, I use LiFePO (which is safer than Lithium) for the big stuff, since each battery can replace two SLA batteries. I never built a big battery using Lithium cells, but I do use small 3.7v Lithium cells in projects.

2 Likes

My lab is mostly ARM SBCs (although I haven’t put any services on them yet, because I’m indecisive about what technology to use and how to best leverage my NAS, but I’ll probably go incus containers on iscsi). My power consumption on my non-x86 setup is about 30 watts total (NAS, switch, router, container host) and about +10-15W more for the backup server (which I only power on when backups need to be ran and that usually lasts less than 2 hours).

Adding my main PC (an odroid h3+ with a portable USB-powered monitor) that adds 13W usual, with about 25W peak. I don’t keep my computer on all the time and even my lab I started turning off at night. My SSD NAS + hypervisor box is a bit wild (the i5 11th gen 6 core) uses about 40W idle and 100W peak, so I can’t power that on a regular basis. Reminder that I’m still on the grid.

My threadripper 1950x wouldn’t work on the power station without using the inverter, which drains it too fast. I was thinking of a dual-system, or maybe triple battery system, but 2 solar setups. I want hungry stuff like a 12v fridge, a 12v air-con and potentially a large inverter for a microwave and an incinerating toilet to be on their own large array, on which I might plug the hungry PCs too when there’s plenty of sun, but have my lab on its own system, with a smaller solar array.

Was thinking doing a 1600W solar array, of which 1200W would go to one system and 400W to the other and maybe build a second battery pack (or prebuilt DC-only if I can find one) just for the hungry PCs separately. All my lights are battery powered, either NiMH or USB (with a bunch of small power banks), which I could easily charge on the 400W array.

I have fiber to the building, but because the distance is long, I have a WiFi “WAN” for my lab, which I can always disconnect and connect to my 5G Hotspot too (which I did and actually worked better than the wifi, but planning on buying a better AP for the house).

Preferable. I wish battleborn batteries weren’t so expensive. I’m excited for sodium batteries to come out. Less density, way cheaper / capacity.

Wow, industrial stuff there…

I live 16kms from the centre of a city with 3.5M people so continuity of supply is not an issue, couldn’t live off-grid if I wanted to.

I’m looking at a very lightweight/portable solar/alternator/generator charged 12/24V system for short to medium term trips doing field research in regional areas.

Trying to keep everything below 100W cont./3000W peak.

We’ll see…

Anyway, just to get back to KVM…

I have managed to get a Whonix VM up and running…

Screenshot from 2024-05-08 17-52-11|690x403, 50%

…now I need something to use it with(browser, terminal, …?)

Suggestions welcome…

Cheers

EDIT: Sorted… doh!