Build Your Own Mastodon Server on Debian (Step by Step Server Build Guide)

Originally published at: Build Your Own Mastodon Server on Debian (Step by Step Server Build Guide) – Learn Linux TV

There’s way too much drama with Twitter nowadays, so the alternatives are looking more attractive than ever. Setting up your own Mastodon server is a fun project, and also a potential alternative to Twitter. In this video, Jay walks you through the entire process of setting up your own Mastodon server on a Debian-based VPS.

2 Likes

As I don’t think I can find an SMTP sender server that would cost less than $5/month (or even $1/month), can I setup a donotreply alias for my domain name and have Mastodon connect to my StartMail’s SMTP server?

And plus, I don’t think there are any ultra-cheap pay-as-you-go SMTP sender servers out there. I already have a VPS. I guess setting up a Mastodon server costs more than what it’s worth.

So I have followed many tutorials and I constantly am getting stuck at the same point. After everything is complete, the domain just doesn’t work.

I am running this locally and am using NPM (Nginx Proxy Manager). I can get to the NGINX config until I finish the SSL setup and beyond. I point it to http://internal-ip:80 and it doesn’t work, I can never get to the configuration screen of Mastodon. Any ideas?